Thursday, January 20, 2011

Beautiful Words:: Three Cups of Tea

I love looking back over my life so far and seeing the land marks.  You know, the people, experiences, books, etc that have changed my life. I would not be who I am today or on my current path if not for these things. I get very excited about this.. I feel like I can see a glimpse of my future or destiny by looking back at these moments along my path. Do you know what I mean?

One of my all-time FAVORITE, life-changing books is Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. Like many of you, perhaps, it had been recommended to me on a number of occasions, but for some reason, it took me a while to pick it up. But, as soon as I did, I fell in LOVE!

In case you don't know, Three Cups of Tea is about a man (Greg Mortenson) who gets lost on a mountain climbing adventure, wanders into a village in Pakistan, and is nursed to health by the people there. When Greg learns that the children have no school and must resort to scratching math problems in the dirt with a stick, he boldly promises to build them a school! You see, he was just an ORDINARY man.  He wasn't the head of a NGO, he wasn't Mother Theresa, he had no money and no contacts. He was like ME! Ordinary! I won't spoil the story by telling you how he did it, but I will say it's pretty incredible and INSPIRING. At times it reads like fiction. (Like the love story of how he met his wife! ...sigh!)

There are so many wonderful lessons* that I gleaned from this book, but the one that has had the most impact on my life:  Ordinary people can do extraordinary things! Like my quote from the other day, Greg Mortenson inspires me to be the best I can be. Too often, I feel small and insignificant, but God willing, I might impact the world in a great way.


*lessons like: patience, perseverance, kindness, listening, developing relationships, etc!


 
Here's me with MY HERO, Greg Mortenson. I had the pleasure of hearing him speak in Cincinnati and he signed a "young readers" version of Three Cups of Tea for my son. I was beyond excited to see him and he was, as expected: humble, sweet and gracious. Almost shy. Pretty amazing considering the man is changing the world and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize!





Have you read Three Cups of Tea?  What did you think?
What books have changed your life?

1 comment:

  1. wow that is inspiring! And it's always lovely when the people you look up turn out to be great people IRL too- nice guys can do great things too!

    at this stage, I can't think of any books but will certainly looking this one up!

    ReplyDelete